Thursday, April 14, 2011

Lean Muscle Workouts: Supersets Burn Fat Gain Muscle

Using Supersets Will Burn Fat And Add LeanFotolia 1517068 XS 200x300 Lean Muscle Workouts: Supersets Burn Fat Gain Muscle Muscle

With all of my workouts I go in with the idea that I workout to burn fat gain lean muscle and get stronger. Now some will say you can’t do both. I say yes. In almost 40 years of training my experience is you can. If you set your workouts up right. So how do we do that? Supersets which are a form of muscle density training.

Let me give you an example of one of my lean muscle workouts and then I’ll explain.

1A) Dips

1B) Snatch Grip Deadlifts

2A) Double Dumbbell Presses

2B) One Arm Dumbbell Row

As you can see I am pairing up my exercises. As I have talked about before 90% of the exercises I use are:

*** Total Body Exercises or what are known as compound exercises.

*** I lift heavy (what’s heavy for me).

*** My reps are between 4 and 8.

*** I use timed sets

*** Very Short Rest Times between exercises

*** Supersets

In case you don’t know Supersets are just taking 2 exercises as in the example above doing a set of dips and going immediately into a set of snatch grip deadlifts. For the most part I use antagonistic pairings for my supersets. As above Dips (upper body) Deadlifts (lower body)

By using heavy weights keeping my reps to the low side is where the lean muscle gains come in.

By keeping my rest times in between to as low as possible (30 seconds tops) is where the fat burning comes into play.

This is muscle density training. Muscle density training is to put it simply doing more work in less time.

Now I also mentioned I use timed sets for these superset workouts. What I do:

Set a timer for 20 mintes. Get as many sets done as possible in my time limit. Now I mentioned earlier my reps are between 4-8. Your beginning sets are when you will be freshest so the reps are at the higher end and the rest times the shortest.

By sets 4 and 5 the reps are lower and the rest times a little longer. In my 20 minute time frame my goal is normally getting 6 sets per exercise.

Progression: The Key In Your Lean Muscle Workouts To Burn Fat And Gain Muscle

Progession means making each workout more productive than the last one. This really is the key to whether you reach your fat loss and muscle building goals. So how to we progress from workout to workout?

*** Add more weight (it can be as little as 2 pounds)

*** In my example get my 6 sets done in 19 or 18 minutes (muscle density do more work in less time)

*** Do even 1 more rep than my last workouts total reps ( I forgot to mention in addtion to time and sets I keep track of my total reps per exercise)

There you have the basis of a lean muscle workout to burn fat and gain lean muscle.

Recap

*** Use Total Body exercises

*** Supersets of Antagonistic Body parts – Chest /Back – Shoulders/Legs – Biceps?Triceps

*** Use Heavy Weight (what’s heavy for you)

*** Keep your Reps between 4-8

*** Use Timed Sets

*** Keep your rest times between exercises low (this will depend on your conditioning level)

Muscle density training with supersets long term fat loss and lean muscle building.

*** Also these workouts can be done with weight training, kettlebells, bodyweight exercises, a medicine ball the possibilities are endless.

No comments: