Monday, June 7, 2010

Building Muscle Workouts Intensify

I have something a little different today. This article comes from Zach Evan Esh the Underground Strength Coach. If you have never read anything from Zach your missing out. Zach is one of the most passionate trainers I have ever known.

When it comes to building strength and muscle anyway, anyhow Zach is the man. This article gave me some great motivation for my workout today and I bet it will for you too. Enjoy!!

Before the internet, the world of strength and serious bodybuilding was in it's very own little world.

A small culture of people who shocked the rest of the world for doing what they did:

- Lifting HEAVY and straining the body

- Eating like Gladiators

- Transforming their body / Growing Muscles that stretched shirts

- The ability to perform feats of strength


Well, after this weekend's USC Cert, we had a few guys in attendance who were in their 20s and they had never seen the movie,'Pumping Iron' with Arnold Schwarzenegger.

I spoke of Franco Columbo deadlifting a small car and how the bodybuilders from back in the 70s were more of a hyrbid power-bodybuilder because they lifted so heavy.

They also were BIG proponents of bodyweight exercises performed in high volume and / or with LOTS of added weight.

Arnold would perform back workouts by performing mixed grip pull ups until he could NO longer hold onto the bar!


Other times it would 5 sets each of chin ups, behind the neck chin ups and close grip chin ups.


When is the last time you saw anyone cranking out 15 sets of pull ups?


There is a man by the name of Marvin Eder, who was known for his astonishing strength NOT just in exercises such as dips and chins, but his strength in the powerlifts and the military press.

He weighed under 200 lbs yet would perform parallel bar dips with 2 men, each hanging from his legs.

His workouts motivate me to consider 100 dips a warm up, NOT a workout.

Marvin could also squat 500 plus pounds for 10 deep reps and had a bench press over 500 lbs as well.


This reminds me: I am NOT strong enough and have lots of work to do ahead of me.

What about you, are you strong enough yet?

Are you satisfied with your strength in the below movements?


- Squat

- Deadlift

- Strict Press

- Dips

- Chin Ups

I'm gonna be hitting a playground workout shortly, and at the gym later tonight I'll be squatting and deadlifting.

Morning will equal tons of push ups, pull ups and dips. Evening has Squats and Deads.

I'm pretty fired up, motivated to be stronger.

I'll be training Rutgers Wrestling Team today as well.

I am excited to see the damage they're going to be dishing out as they get stronger and stronger training at The Underground Strength Gym, and, we'll be blasting their conditioning levels to a whole new level.


Once again....

All this talk of Marvin Eder and the men of amazing strength reminds me:

I am NOT strong enough and have LOTS of work to do ahead of me.

What about you, are you strong enough yet?

Lead from the front.

--Z-- go now and check out Zach's Underground Strength Program.

No comments: